Spending time winterising your static caravan at the end of the season will ensure that is clean and in good working order for your return in the spring. Below are some points which will help you prepare your caravan for winter reducing potential damage caused by the cold and damp.
1. Clear Down - It is recommended that if you can take home items to reduce the risk of damage and also theft. Items which you can take home include; soft furnishings, bedding, towels, curtains and electrical Items such as DVD players and TV's
2. Condensation - Condensation and dampness can cause damage to the caravan. Leave dehumidifying crystals or bowls of salt in the static caravan to absorb dampness.
3. Water System - As with your home the expansion of frozen water in pipes can cause many problems in a static caravan. Before leaving your van for the winter turn off the water system and drain down by opening all the taps. Adding antifreeze to toilet bowl stops freezing and cracking.
4. Rodents - Remove all food to avoid tempting rodents. Also check that there is no access for rodents as these can be a real issue.
5. Gas and Electric - Ensure that all gas and electrical systems should be isolated for the winter season.
6. Security - Ensure your caravan is locked and secure before leaving. Check that your contact details are correct with the park owner including your mobile phone number, in case of unexpected issues.
Follow these points plus others which you feel are appropriate to keep your static caravan in good working order.